This spice-rubbed salmon with a little extra char packs loads of flavor! Paprika and cayenne add a smokiness and spice. Honey, zest and mustard come together to create a sweet tanginess. It’s the perfect quick fix dinner or lunch that is 100% crave-worthy.
This salmon comes together in under 30 minutes and pairs with the simplest homemade sauce! You’ll have extra honey mustard sauce from this recipe to serve on the side. While the sauce is already spooned on top of the salmon, I love to dip every bite into it as well. It’s just one of those sauces! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links.
The salmon in this recipe is cooked in cast iron skillet but a really hot grill will do wonders too. I just don’t have a grill at home, so my instructions are written for a cast iron skillet! Both produce a lovely char that add to the incredible smokiness of this salmon. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet or grill, you can use a regular skillet, just make sure the pan gets hot enough to char the fish!Print
Simple weeknight salmon recipe made with dijon mustard, cumin, cayenne and honey.
- 2 lbs salmon, skin on (approx 4 filets)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- zest and juice of 1 lemon or lime
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/3 cup mustard, dijon, creole, or yellow (whichever you prefer)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional, more to taste)
- Pat salmon dry. Place in a bowl and add paprika, cumin, garlic powder, zest, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with your hands to coat the salmon. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil into the bowl and rub oil into salmon evenly. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 tbsp olive oil, honey, mustard, lemon or lime juice, cayenne and a pinch of salt. Whisk until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Heat your skillet (preferably cast iron) to medium. Cook salmon skin side down, covered, until lightly charred, approximately 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes until flesh becomes opaque. Remove from skillet and spoon the honey mustard sauce over each filet.
- Serve salmon with an extra serving of the honey mustard sauce with your side of choice!
Keywords: Grilled, salmon, seared salmon