Try this at home at least once in your life! I still love my super convenient Trader Joe’s instant hot chocolate packets, but homemade hot chocolate just hits differently.
Top it with whipped cream!
Do this hot chocolate some justice and give it the extra zhuzh it deserves – the whipped cream and dust of cocoa powder topping is an absolute must! I know…I can already hear all the marshmallow fans out there gasping haha! Nothing against marshmallows, so do it if you must. Generally, I just don’t have marshmallows lying around my house because I can’t use an entire bag fast enough, so I find that whipped cream is much easier. Plus, you can use the extra heavy cream for so many other things! 🙂
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup half and half*
- 1 cup water
- 1 oz semisweet chocolate (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (dutch processed, plus more for topping)
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- whipped cream (for serving)
- In a medium saucepan, warm half and half with water on medium-high heat until simmering. Add cocoa powder and whisk until no clumps are visible, 1 minute. Add chopped chocolate and sugar, then whisk until chocolate is melted and hot cocoa is thickened, 3 minutes.
- Divide into mugs and serve with whipped cream and a dust of cocoa powder.
Half and Half – can I sub half and half with milk? I prefer the taste of half and half and always have the lactose-free kind around, so that’s what I used but definitely feel free to sub that and the water with whole milk instead!
Keywords: desserts, drinks, featured, holidays