These mummy rice krispies are super fun to make and make for a great Halloween dessert recipe. They only require two ingredients for decoration – white chocolate and poppy seeds!
Other recipes I spotted online required purchasing candy eyeballs which could be a convenient solution, but I generally have poppy seeds at home, and I’m all for saving a store trip! The seeds make a great homemade and edible solution that the kids could even have fun with.
Homemade Rice Krispies
As for the rice krispies, my homemade brown butter rice krispie treat recipe is killer! They are ultra delicious with two star ingredients: brown butter and condensed milk!
How to decorate mummy rice krispie treats
You can have a lot of fun with these! Since they are white, they make a great blank canvas for kids (or adults) to go crazy.
To add color or even incorporate different ingredients like sprinkles or marshmallows, I included recommendations for other Halloween-themed designs at the bottom of this page!Print
Mummy Rice Krispie Treats
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooling Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 rice krispies 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Delicious homemade rice krispie treats, decorated with white chocolate to make Halloween mummies!
- 1 recipe for brown butter rice krispie treats (makes 8–10 treats) or storebought treats
- 6 oz (or 1 cup) white chocolate baking chips
- 1–2 tbsp poppy seeds to make eyes, or purchase candy eyeballs
- Cut treats + freeze. Cut homemade treats into rectangles, approx 3″x4″. Lay on a flat surface like a cutting board and place in freezer while you prep the chocolate.
- Melt white chocolate. Pour white chocolate into a glass measuring cup or heatsafe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until the white chocolate is smooth and a little glossy. Spoon white chocolate into a large ziploc bag or piping bag with a small round tip. Cut the corner of the ziploc to create a hole for piping.
- Make eyeballs. Remove the entire board of treats from the freezer. Pipe two eyeballs onto each treat, and smooth off the tops if needed with a toothpick. The chocolate should stiffen quickly since the treats are cold. If they don’t, stick them in a freezer for 2 minutes. Pour the poppy seeds onto a shallow plate or parchment paper. Pipe one dot of chocolate onto each eyeball to create a pupil. Doing one treat at a time, dip the chocolate dots into the poppy seeds to stick. Repeat with the rest of the mummies.
- Wrap the mummies! Now that the mummies have eyes, use the same bag of white chocolate to pipe zigzag lines over the mummy treats. Leave their eyes peeping out! Allow treats to set for at least 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead Instructions. These rice krispies can be made 2-3 days in advance as long as they are covered and refrigerated. Otherwise, these are best eaten the day of or the day after they are made.
Keywords: gluten-free, rice krispies, brown butter, condensed milk, dulce de leche
If you or your kids are feeling adventurous and want to play with more ingredients or color, here are some other fun options:
Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
Monster Rice Krispie Treats
Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treats
Check out my original Brown Butter Rice Krispie Recipe!
Features two special ingredients: brown butter + condensed milk.
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats