These brownies are super rich and fudgy with a thick layer of peanut buttery goodness in the middle. It’s the “stick to the roof of your mouth” goodness that you WANT! If you are a peanut butter lover, the super smooth and thick layer in the center is your happy place!
I’ve made plenty of peanut butter brownie recipes, but Handle the Heat’s Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies have floored me, so this recipe is inspired by Handle the Heat! Tessa Arias, you are a brownie genius, so I’m giving credit where credit is due!
Freeze a layer of peanut butter for that thick center!
What makes this recipe work is HOW we stuff the peanut butter in these delicious fudgy brownies! Instead of spreading around goopy peanut butter on top of goopy brownie batter, this recipe melts the peanut butter so that it creates a smooth layer. Then, it spends some time in the freezer so we can handle it easily!
To make the frozen peanut butter possible, make sure to have plenty of parchment overhang in your pan so that you can easily lift the peanut butter layer out.Print
Rich and gooey fudge brownies with a thick layer of creamy peanut butter in the center! These brownies are a peanut butter lover’s dream!
- 1 1/4 cups creamy peanut butter, NOT “natural” (336 g)
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter (142 g)
- 4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped (113 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (64 g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (25 g)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- flaky salt (optional for topping)
- Peanut Butter Filling. Microwave the peanut butter in the heat-safe bowl for 30 seconds or until pourable but not hot. Line a metal 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang. Pour the peanut butter in the pan and spread it into an even layer. Freeze for at least 1 hour or until solidified. Keep it in the freezer while you make the brownie batter.
- Brownie Batter. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line the square pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang. Microwave the butter and chopped chocolate in a heat-safe bowl in 30-second increments until melted and smooth. Stir after every 30 seconds to help them melt. Add sugar to the warm butter mix and whisk vigorously until incorporated. Add in eggs, yolk, and vanilla extract for about 1 minute until very well combined. Use a spatula to stir in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt until just combined.
- Assemble Stuffed Brownies. Pour half of the brownie mixture into the lined pan and smooth out the top. Carefully place the layer of frozen peanut butter on top of the batter and press down lightly. Pour remaining brownie batter on top and cover completely.
- Bake. Bake the brownies for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through but still gooey in the center. Sprinkle flaky salt (if using) on top, and allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Then remove from the pan and cool for another 30 minutes before you slice, otherwise the brownies will be too soft to cut!
You can serve these brownies warm or chilled (which is my preference). Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: brownies, desserts, peanut butter