A vibrant and substantial salad that is topped with tomatoes roasted with bacon for extra umami flavor! The bacon drippings contribute to the honey mustard vinaigrette that ties this whole salad together.
- 3 oz salad greens
- 1 cup shredded chicken (~5 oz)
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes (~5–6 oz)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (~2 oz)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or sliced almonds (~1 oz)
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp bacon drippings (fat)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp dijon or yellow mustard
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Roast Tomatoes + Bacon. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Lay bacon slices evenly spaced across the baking sheet. Disperse tomatoes all around the bacon so that they cook in the melted fat. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are crinkled and bacon is lightly crisp (the bacon might take longer than the tomatoes, so you can remove the tomatoes first). Reserve 1 tbsp of the bacon fat for the vinaigrette. After bacon has cooled, chop bacon into 1/2 inch pieces, and set aside.
- Mix Vinaigrette. In a medium bowl, add the tbsp of bacon fat plus the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients into a bowl. Mix vigorously until well combined. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed. (The smashed garlic will flavor the vinaigrette without adding bitter bits of garlic to the salad.)
- Mix Salad. Toss together salad greens, chicken, bacon, avocado, roasted tomatoes, feta, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Discard smashed garlic from the vinaigrette, then drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Keywords: healthy, salad, salad recipe, weeknight dinner