Light and healthy coconut curry base with sweet corn, crisped chickpeas, veggies and a side of rice
- 1 can chickpeas (14 oz)
- 1 can coconut milk (Arroy-D brand is best)
- 2 small zucchinis
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 2 tsp ginger (grated)
- 2 tsp garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (cooking-grade olive oil or avocado oil)
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- juice & zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley (chopped)
- 2 cups jasmine or basmati rice (cooked)
- naan flatbread, for serving (optional)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Drain chickpeas and pat them dry. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add chickpeas with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the color begins to brown slightly and crisps up, approx 5 minutes. Remove about half of the chickpeas to reserve for a crunchy topping!
- In the same pan with chickpeas, add zucchini, shallot, garlic, ginger, and the entire can of corn (including the liquid which will add sweetness to your curry!). Season with salt and pepper. Cook veggies for 5-10 minutes or until zucchini begins to soften.
- Stir in the curry powder, cayenne, and coconut milk. Combine thoroughly and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, lemon zest and cilantro.
- To serve, plate about 1/4 cup of cooked rice in each bowl and spoon curry over the top. Garnish with more cilantro and the crunchy chickpeas!
Keywords: dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian