A simple weeknight interpretation of the Thai comfort classic. Tender chicken thighs cooked in a flavorful coconut milk and red curry paste broth!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk (14 fl oz)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb egg, wheat, or ramen noodles (cooked)
- 2 small bok choy heads (leaves halved, lengthwise)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 tsp ginger (minced)
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (plus more to taste)
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- spicy chili crisp in oil (optional)
- crispy shallots (optional)
- Cook noodles per package instructions. Set aside.
- Season chicken thighs with kosher salt. Sear in a medium pot until light brown on both sides, ~10 minutes. Remove chicken from pot & set aside.
- In the same pot, heat cooking oil on medium heat. Add onion and red peppers, and cook, stirring frequently until tender, ~3-5 minutes.
- Add red curry paste, ginger and garlic. Stir until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk. Blend the mixture with an immersion blender* until smooth. Then pour in the chicken stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and bring to a simmer.
- Add bok choy and seared chicken. Simmer for ~5 minutes until the bok choy is tender. Remove from heat and squeeze in juice from half a lime. Add salt to taste, if needed.
- Serve the broth with cooked noodles, crispy shallots, cilantro, more fresh lime, and spicy chili crisp! Feel free to dress your bowl up with other fresh toppings, too!
*Immersion Blender: if you don’t have an immersion blender, you can scoop some of the soup out and blend mixture in a blender or skip this step altogether. Blending the bell pepper and onions makes the soup silkier and a little thicker.
Keywords: curry recipes, dairy free, one-pot, spicy, thai recipes