Treat your pup to this homemade dog carrot cake on their special day! This dog-friendly carrot cake is made of simple ingredients like carrots, peanut butter, and honey which won’t upset their sensitive tummies.
How to make a cake for dogs
Recipes for dog-friendly cakes are much simpler than the average human cake because of their sensitive stomachs. They use very few spices, leaveners, or oils, so while the texture won’t compare to a human cake, this cake will be heavenly to your pup!
Dog cake ingredients
- Shredded carrots
- Peanut butter
- Neutral oil
- Whole wheat or oat flour
- Baking soda
Dog Carrot Cake
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooling Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: One 2-layered 6-inch cake 1x
- Category: Dog Food
- Cuisine: Dog Food
Dog-friendly carrot cake recipe that your dog will love! Made with whole wheat or oat flour, carrots, peanut butter, eggs, and honey.
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup peanut butter*
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup neutral oil, such as avocado or light olive
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat or oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350º F (175 degrees C). Grease and line two 6” round baking trays, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 egg, ¼ cup peanut butter, ⅓ cup honey, ¼ cup neutral oil, and ¼ cup water. Whisk to combine, then fold in 1 cup shredded carrots.
- To the bowl of wet ingredients, add 1 cup flour, and 1 tsp baking soda, then fold into the cake batter until just combined to avoid overmixing. Spoon cake batter into greased pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make frosting. In a medium bowl, add ½ cup plain Greek yogurt and ¼ cup peanut butter and stir with a fork until evenly combined. Cover, then refrigerate until cakes are ready to be frosted.
- When the cakes are done baking, remove from the oven and cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto a wire rack, remove parchment lining and cool completely.
- Frost cooled cakes, decorate, and serve!
*Peanut butter: make sure the peanut butter does not have xylitol in the ingredients. It is toxic to dogs.
Make ahead You can make and frost this cake up to a day in advance. Simply cover the cake loosely and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to serve. If you’d like to make the cakes several days in advance, the cakes can be baked and frozen individually. Simply allow the cakes to cool completely, then wrap them in food wrap and place in a zip-tight bag. Freeze for up to 3 weeks. To defrost, transfer the cakes in the fridge the day before. Then make the frosting and frost the cake when ready to serve.
Storing and freezing – Refrigerate the cake for up to 3 days, covered. Baked, unfrosted cakes can also be individually frozen for up to 3 weeks for later use.